Monday, January 26, 2009

Analogies

This is just to show you people that, while I make up more than my fair share of dubious or strange analogies, they're really quite good compared to some of what's out there. Check this one out for example:

"Imagine you wake up one morning and find yourself on an alien planet entirely deserted except for a watermelon with a step stool beside it."

- Synchrony, by Steven Strogatz

That's the lead in to a thought example that he uses to explain how lasers work. Interesting factoid that was new to me - the word "laser" is actually an acronym, standing for "Light Amplification by Simulated Emission of Radiation". Way cool. As is this book:



I'm only about half way through, but it is an engaging read. Lots of fascinating examples, drawing together everything from the biology of fireflies to the physics of the power grid, and revealing their common underlying mathematical framework. I dig it.

Something else that has me pumped right now: read this

I so hope that this all comes together, it has me feeling so hopeful to see already these beginning signs of changing policy and new chances for a better future.

No comments: