Monday, March 1, 2010

Stumbled upon: "Humpty Dumpty Effect"

Whilst reading a review (Young et al. 2005, Ecology Letters) in preparation for a reading group I might sit in on, I stumbled across the term 'Humpty Dumpty effect'. After a good chuckle, I did a bit more side-track reading to find out about this curious monicker. Check it out, it's pretty cool:


In other brief news, I finished my review of that manuscript and turned it in; we'll see where it goes! It was an interesting learning experience, and I think (hope?) I did a pretty thorough job. I've also kicked out two abstracts for conference presentations; Transient Theorist is going to be at MEEC and ESA this year! (Pending ESA's acceptance, technically). Now I just need to figure out where I want to head with research this summer...

More posts to come towards the end of the week; I've been squeezing in some interesting reading on general theories of ecology, and other articles trying to define what our field is, what it seeks to do, where it's heading and if it will ever get there. Heady stuff. Not sure what I'll have to add to it, but it is really interesting to think about - I should practice defining and justifying my discipline more concretely and more often.

No comments: